Een oud boek...

Alles over boeken, schrijven, uitgevers etc.
Brazuca
Contacteer:

Re: Een oud boek...

Bericht door Brazuca »

@Theo, Hij opereerde niet alleen mensen, maar blijkbaar ook paarden;
Lionel Stretton schreef:Notes of a Case
The Death of a Horse 15th November 1901

Miranda, a dark brown mare two years old, well bred, highly nervous but in excellent condition suffering from two large suppurating lumps over the elbows. The anaesthetic was commenced at about 3pm in September after she had been hobbled and drawn down In the usual way. She had been prepared by being given a bran mash the night before, and a meal of bran and chaff at 8am that day - that being her last meal.

The chloroform was given in the following manner - a towel was laid on the ground under the animal's head and soaked in chloroform, and this was placed over the nose and mouth. A second towel was folded over this. When more chloroform was required it was poured over the inner towel, enough to soak it once again. It was not for me to question the methods employed, but I must say that it struck me at the time that if I attempted to administer chloroform to a human being in such a manner we should be courting disaster. She inhaled the chloroform quite quietly. There was no struggling, and the respirations were long and deep. I had just removed the first lump, and was preparing to sew up the wound, when the vet informed me that she had stopped breathing. All our efforts – artificial respiration, strong ammonia etc. were unavailing. The time from commencement of inhalation was about ten minutes.

John Lionel Stretton 1901

Theo Horsten (R.I.P.)

Bericht door Theo Horsten (R.I.P.) »

Voor € 14,50 brengen wij Lionel Stretton met zijn allen bijna weer tot leven! :-D
Ik vermoed dat zijn achterkleinzoon Chris Stretton hier zo nu en dan nog wel eens kijkt om te zien wat we met zijn overgrootvader doen.

Lionel Stretton werd vooral bekend door zijn gebruik van jodium om de huid te ontsmetten voor een operatie. Daar heeft hij uitgebreid over gepubliceerd.
dita
Contacteer:

Bericht door dita »

Vandaag in de bibliotheek op de plank van "te verkopen boeken" lag een exemplaar van Jan de Hartog.Het bleek de Finse vertaling te zijn van "Stella". De prijs 20 cent. Gelijk meegenomen daar ik nog nooit eerder een Jan de Hartog in het Fins gezien had. Het was de vierde druk en in zeer goede staat met harde kaft. "Zo goed als nieuw".
Bijlagen
Stella
Stella
stella.JPG (333.93 KiB) 4776 keer bekeken
Keep going
Martin

"Ver van huis en ongeschoren"

http://issuu.com/martinhendriks/docs
gerard tenerife

Bericht door gerard tenerife »

Voor mij, waar het allemaal mee begon, mijn inspiratie om te gaan varen.

Afbeelding

Groeten Gerard
een pessimist is een optimist met veel ervaring.

Plaats reactie