Varen in het Verre Oosten bij de RIL / KJCPL

Een gezellig, leuk en informatief Scheepvaartforum
BU-6
Contacteer:

Re: Varen in het Verre Oosten (RIL / KJCPL)

Bericht door BU-6 »

Willem, wederom weer pracht opnames uit je archief.
De Straat Holland heeft, na oplevering, ca. 17 1/2 jaar gevaren, waarna sloop volgde. Daarmee heeft ze haar 3 zusterschepen, Straat HongKong ,Straat Hobart en de Straat Honshu overleefd. Straat Hobart is reeds op 15 1/2 jarige leeftijd naar de sloop gebracht.
Deze schepen hebben gedurende de economische groei jaren '70/ '80, wellicht, toch nog het nodige rendement opgeleverd!?
Gr.Harry
Varen is hunkeren naar land.

Jos Komen (R.I.P)

Bericht door Jos Komen (R.I.P) »

De ex-Straat Torres. :wink:
Kota Mawar.jpg
Kota Mawar.jpg (70.58 KiB) 3612 keer bekeken
IDNo: 5342099 Year: 1956
Name: STRAAT TORRES
Type: Cargo ship (ref) Flag: NLD DWT: 7690
Builder: Gusto
Location of yard: Schiedam
Number ofscrews/Mchy/Speed(kn): 1D-16
76 KOTA MAWAR
BU Alang 23.7.83
Willem Oldenburg

Bericht door Willem Oldenburg »

Hoi KJCPL-ers en gasten.

Hier een paar plaatjes van de "Straat Singapore":
Straat Singapore 1957 1.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 1.jpg (429.84 KiB) 3506 keer bekeken
Straat Singapore 1957 2.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 2.jpg (539.99 KiB) 3506 keer bekeken
Straat Singapore 1957 3.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 3.jpg (524.59 KiB) 3506 keer bekeken
Straat Singapore 1957 4.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 4.jpg (242.36 KiB) 3506 keer bekeken
Gegevens:
Naam: Straat Singapore
Imo: 5342075
Naamsein: PHTV
Eigenaar: Koninklijke Java-China-Paketvaart Lijnen NV - Amsterdam/NLD
Tonnage: 5446 GT
Lengte: 138,64 m - Breedte: 18,82 m - Holte: 7,35 m
Thuishaven: Amsterdam
Vlag: Nederland
Gebouwd: 1957 als Straat Singapore - 1979/1979 Jal Sea Fortune (Trans Globe Maritime Co Ltd - Hong Kong) - 1979/1980 Jal Sea Fortune
Werf: Scheepswerf & Machinefabriek "De Merwede" v/h Van Vliet & Co - Hardinxveld/NLD - Werf nr: 544
Motor: B & W diesel, 2 tew - 6 cil / Vermogen: 6800 rpk / Snelheid: 16,5 kn
Type: vrachtschip met passagiers accommodatie voor 12 passagiers
Gesloopt: 03-03-1980 te Kaohsiung/Taiwan.
Straat Singapore 1957 5.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 5.jpg (804.02 KiB) 3506 keer bekeken
Straat Singapore 1957 6.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 6.jpg (445.71 KiB) 3506 keer bekeken
Boven: op het Noordzeekanaal.

Wordt Vervolgd:

Groetjes Willem
Willem Oldenburg

Vervolg:
Straat Singapore 1957 7.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 7.jpg (881.64 KiB) 3503 keer bekeken
Boven: op het Noordzeekanaal.
Straat Singapore 1957 8.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 8.jpg (495.57 KiB) 3503 keer bekeken
Straat Singapore 1957 9.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 9.jpg (456.09 KiB) 3503 keer bekeken
Straat Singapore 1957 10.jpg
Straat Singapore 1957 10.jpg (245.11 KiB) 3503 keer bekeken
Jal Sea Fortune - ex Straat Singapore 1.jpg
Jal Sea Fortune - ex Straat Singapore 1.jpg (486.76 KiB) 3503 keer bekeken
Boven en onder: als Jal Sea Fortune - Fingall Shipping Ltd - Panama/R.P.
Jal Sea Fortune - ex Straat Singapore 2.jpg
Jal Sea Fortune - ex Straat Singapore 2.jpg (594.37 KiB) 3503 keer bekeken
Groetjes Willem
Jan Sprong

Bericht door Jan Sprong »

Wat een prachtig schip is de Straat Singapore en mooie foto's Willem.

Groeten,Jan
BU-6
Contacteer:

Bericht door BU-6 »

Wat een prachtig schip is de Straat Singapore en mooie foto's Willem.Groeten,Jan
Ja Jan, als Straat Singapore zeer zeker. Als ''I Jal Sea Fortune'' wat minder 8) .
Gr.Harry
Varen is hunkeren naar land.
Jan Sprong

Bericht door Jan Sprong »

dat is zeker Harry,was zeker de laatste reis voor de sloop.
gr.Jan
Willem Oldenburg

Hoi Jan & Harry

Jan, bedankt voor het compliment en inderdaad Harry als de dames verkocht werden ging het hard achteruit met ze.

Groetjes Willem
kees de ru

Bericht door kees de ru »

Volgend verhaal uit de "Ports & Ships Newsletter" van 19/11 '13

Quote:

MAILBAG: THE AIMEE LYKES STORY

AIMEE LYKES 470
The American freighter Aimee Lykes, some years after her encounter with the Aliwal Shoal. Picture is by Trevor Jones
straat banka 470

Sir
In Ports & Ships Maritime News dated 22 October 2013, I read your story of the AIMEE LYKES.

At the very moment she hit Aliwal shoal, I was the officer (3rd officer) on duty on the bridge of the RIL ship STRAAT BANKA, under command of Captain EM Drukker, sailing north bound for Durban, close to the coast and to the West of Aliwal Shoal.

I remember the massive smoke plume coming out of her funnel as she climbed onto the rocks to her midships. Presumably the smoke was caused by an emergency stop.

The legend of the race, maybe just that because I don't think there was another RIL ship in the immediate neighbourhood and we were certainly not racing her.

If memory serves me right, we came out of Port Elizabeth or maybe East London and we were proceeding at economical speed and close to shore into the south-going current as we were being overtaken by the Aimee Lykes.

I think she was doing in the vicinity of 20 knots. No RIL ship at that time (1963) could match that and certainly not the Straat Banka with a top speed of 16-17 knots.

We did meet her in Cape Town days earlier and it is possible that the two skippers had met there, but we had sailed a few days before her and were calling at PE or EL or maybe both, as we often did. Not really a good set-up for a race I would have thought.

It is possible that there was an unspoken race on to pick up the pilot before she did, in which case she had us well and truly beaten with about 25 miles or so to go. I don't think we had VHF or RT in those days and I can't recall any communications with her. Our Captain was on the bridge at the time of the grounding and I cannot remember him saying anything about racing her to the pilot station either.

But far be it for me to try and spoil a good story with the facts (as far as my unreliable memory allows me to recall them). I enjoyed reading the article.

John Kol
Sydney

Unquote.
Bijlagen
straat_banka_470.jpg
straat_banka_470.jpg (29.38 KiB) 3113 keer bekeken
AIMEE_LYKES_470.jpg
AIMEE_LYKES_470.jpg (41.02 KiB) 3113 keer bekeken
kees de ru

Bericht door kees de ru »

Teneinde het verhaal hierboven compleet te maken, hier waar het mee begon uit "Ports & Ships" van 22/10 '13:

Quote:

Our older readers will recall an event that took place on 26 October, 1963, when a newly built American freighter, Lykes Line’s AIMEE LYKES (10,590-dwt) went aground on the Aliwal Shoal off the south coast of Natal, 40 n.miles from Durban.
The ship was on her maiden voyage and according to legend was racing a Royal Interocean Line ship in an attempt to be the first at Durban.
Aimee Lykes was named for the daughter-in-law of one of seven brothers who founded Lykes Bros Steamship Co Inc. The ship was the first of eight fast steamers being built in the Avondale shipyard and the 16th of a planned 50 ship replacement programme. She was designed as a fast liner vessel, having steam turbine engines that could drive her at a service speed of 20 knots, which was fast for the time. The plan was to shave six days off the 22 day transit time between New Orleans and Cape Town.
The ship left New Orleans early in October and arrived at Cape Town on 21 October, having accomplished that task. After working her cargo she sailed for Durban amid reports that a wager was on between the RIL vessel’s master and the captain of the Aimee Lykes.
In the event the Dutch ship would collect whatever prize had been agreed, for at around 10am on the 26th, while attempting to take the inside channel of the Aliwal Shoal, Aimee Lykes struck the seabed and came to a juddering halt.
The ship’s No.3 hold, containing a cargo of rice and caustic soda in drums was flooded to above the ‘tween deck while the No.4 hold tanktops were pushed up by more than a metre with bulkhead frames and stiffeners bent and buckled. The ship was carrying over 600 tons of heavy fuel oil in a ruptured tank with the oil being held up by the pressure of the water below, but which posed a threat to the environment as it was seeping out slowly.
Several Durban harbour tugs steamed to the aid of the stricken ship, FC STURROCK and JR MORE among them. Within two days and with the two mentioned tugs hard at work and the Aimee Lykes using her own engines to good effect, the ship came off her rocky perch and was able to steam slowly towards Durban, with the tugs in attendance.
On arrival in Durban where the dry dock had been hurriedly emptied, the ship underwent what was to become the biggest ship repair in the country since World War 2. Over 800 tons of Iscor steel went into her repair, which was awarded to the Durban firm of James Brown & Hamer – now Elgin Brown & Hamer.
In April 1964, with repairs completed, Aimee Lykes held successful sea trials and was able to complete her round trip voyage to Africa. She wasn’t to return for another eight years, although several of her sisters continued on the service.
For whatever reason, the ship’s grounding and her repair captured the imagination of the people of Durban like nothing else since the end of the war. Newspapers covered not only her grounding and refloating, but every step of the long repair and then her sea trials and eventual departure. It wasn’t unusual for large numbers of the public to visit the dry dock and gaze down at the workmen busy far below while noting the progress being made.
Meanwhile, the two tugs, which had been designed for ocean salvage purposes as well as harbour work, continued with their more mundane duties. Eventually, in 1982 the JR More was decommissioned and handed over to the newly opened Port Natal Maritime Museum, where she took pride of place as a floating museum exhibit in Durban harbour.
FC Sturrock, the other tug involved with the refloating saw out her last days at Walvis Bay where she was broken up in 1984.
This Saturday, 26 October it will be exactly 50 years since the Aimee Lykes wrote her name into local lore and maritime history. Coincidentally it was a Saturday as well. The Port Natal Maritime Museum is using the opportunity to hold a special exhibition based on this notable event, which became a household topic throughout the six months that the ship spent in Durban harbour undergoing repairs.
An amazingly large collection of press cuttings and other reports has been gathered and will go on display in the exhibition hall at the museum, along with ship models and photographs, with the museum ‘dressed’ for the occasion and the public is invited to come along and join in a celebration of the event. At 11am a number of discussions and short talks will be presented in front of the moored JR More, detailing some of the factors and background behind the ship’s grounding and her repair. Topics to be discussed include a background of Lykes Line itself, which operated for over fifty years on the trade route between North America and South and East Africa.
Some background will also be given on the Aliwal Shoal, and also why it is so important that a port like Durban retains a strong ship repair industry that can cater for unexpected emergencies involving ships. Talks will also be presented on the harbour tugs.
Durban has an impressive maritime history and background, of which surprisingly little has been told. It is therefore important that a record of all that has passed is kept and made available for current and future generations. The maritime museum, one of only a few in the country, holds a unique collection of items in an easily accessible position overlooking the harbour, with plenty of parking next to the museum. In fact, this is just another of the important reasons why the maritime museum needs to be well maintained and utilised, for it provides an excellent ‘window’ into one of the world’s busiest and most impressive harbours, with a passing parade of ships and boats of every description.
The general public is invited to come along on Saturday, 26 October and enjoy the exhibition and hands-on exhibits of tugs, small boats, a pictorial history of the Port of Durban, a display on whaling and many other exhibits. It is hoped that visitors may be able to share some of their own memories of the event. The museum is open between 9am and 4pm and costs R5 per adult and R3 for children. Secure parking is available. – Terry Hutson

Unquote.

Plaats reactie